[thelist] Re: Klez (was: [admin notice, please read])

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Thu Jun 20 06:01:07 CDT 2002

At 05:01 AM 6/20/2002, Paulo wrote:
>Yeah, this is the Klez worm...
>
>I receive around 40 mails every day infected by Klez. They all have the same
>size (about 122-126Kb).

Yeah, I've started receiving them more frequently as well. Funny that I
didn't get a single one when it was at its "peak".

And then Ray asked:

>Any one know a good filter to get rid of them?

Unfortunately, the attachments vary in name and extensions. But I've found
that an old size filter I've used for a long time works very well. As Paulo
mentioned, the Klez mails are usually bigger than 100 K. My Eudora is
configured to not download any mail that is bigger than 60K (thelist digest
usually fits in there). So only a few bytes of the Klez mail is downloaded
to my PC. I then tell Eudora to simply delete them from the server without
downloading it.

The size filter also works wonders when a stupid friend sends you some
large cartoons he found on the Web and his 1 MB message blocks the other
hundred messages you've got. :)

Regards,

Madhu

Madhu Menon