[thelist] CGI help

Kevin B. O'Brien ahuka at ahuka.com
Thu Jun 20 11:15:01 CDT 2002

I think I know a little more than I did last time. In Martin's presentation
(http://www.evolt.org/article/Breadcrumbs_for_All/17/4428/index.html), he
says to include the script on the page using this line:

<!--#include
virtual="/cgi-bin/cookie_trail.cgi?title=You%20put%20your%20title%20here" -->

When I did that, this is what I found in the server log:

script not found or unable to stat: /home/httpd/cgi-bin/cookie_trail.cgi

The problem is that the path it is looking at for the script is clearly
wrong. It should be in /home/wwwtest/cgi-bin/, but how to get it to look
there? I say it should be in that directory because I am working in a test
directory on this before putting anything on the main site.

Well, I tried re-writing the include statement to:

<!--#include
virtual="/home/wwwtest/cgi-bin/cookie_trail.cgi?title=You%20put%20your%20title%20here"
-->

And this gave me the error message:

File does not exist: /home/www/home/wwwtest/cgi-bin/cookie_trail.cgi

Again, the path is the issue.

Can someone explain to me what is going on here?

--
Kevin B. O'Brien         TANSTAAFL
ahuka at ahuka.com
"There is no "royal road" to geometry." -- Euclid -- Said to king
Ptolemy I

Help fight SPAM. Join CAUCE. http://www.cauce.org/