[thelist] HTML Comments and Double Hyphens on Netscape 6.1 an d 6.2

Ray Hill ray.hill at informative.com
Thu Jun 20 18:50:00 CDT 2002

> "White space is not permitted between the markup declaration
> open delimiter("<!") and the comment open delimiter ("--"),
> but is permitted between the comment close delimiter ("--")
> and the markup declaration close delimiter (">").

Interesting.  But by that rule, it would interpret:

   <!-- Header Table -- Begin -->

as:

   <!-- Header Table --> Begin -->

which would theoretically print

   Begin --> to the screen.

But in this case, it's ignoring the closing comment all together, and
commenting out the <table> that follows this comment, until it finally gets
to the closing comment:

   <!-- Header Table -- End -->

Then it notices the end tag (although which one I'm not sure) and returns to
usual.

So I understand why it's getting confused, but it still appears to be a bug
in Netscape as to how it's handling it specifically.

--ray