[thelist] Re: search engine placement

Techwatcher techwatcher at accesswriters.com
Mon Jun 24 08:05:00 CDT 2002

Hi, all & David --
> I have a client who would like to improve his
> placement on the free search engines.

Don't we all!

> i.e. keywords ="Toledo, opthamologist, eye dr, eye
> doctor, Mike Wearington"
>
> The site went live 2 months ago, I can't get the site
> to show up upon using any combination of seach terms.
> Any good how to guides out there?  How do I get this
> site to show on the free search engines given a
> reasonable search?

One thing to remember, especially with Yahoo which is both expensive
(for commercial sites) and important (lots of people's first choice for
search site) is that you CAN submit a PAGE (not just a site) for
review. So, put a "free service" type of page on your site, and submit
that page to Yahoo.

In your case, for example, have your opthamologist do a little "signs
to watch out for" for glaucoma (if he hands you a brochure, rewrite it
substantially!). Make that its own complete page, with links to and
from your other pages, and submit this page. The site may be
commercial, but this page isn't. The old advice about building site
traffic -- give some stuff away for free! -- still applies.

Cheers --
Carol Stein
techwatcher at accesswriters.com