[thelist] Re: PHP, JAVA File retrieval

Daniel Farkas bup at neobee.net
Tue Jun 25 10:24:01 CDT 2002

>From: "Jay Blanchard" <jay.blanchard at niicommunications.com>
>To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
>Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 06:31:42 -0500
>Subject: [thelist] PHP, JAVA File retrieval
>
>Good morning group!
>
>I am in the process of analyzing the following situation and wanted to
see
>if any of you might have done this or something similar before...
>
>Each day we have a person who is responsible for going to a secure web
site
>,logging in, (which redirects to) a JAVA applet. This JAVA applet has a
set
>of tabs across the top, one of which is labeled 'Daily Records'. The
tab is
>clicked on and then a set of zip files is listed for download.
>
>All done manually every day.
>
>What we would like to do is develop some sort of automated method to do
this
>file retrieval using PHP (as a stand alone executable run by a CRON
job)
>since it has excellent file handling functions. We could use PERL too.
>
>Unfortunately the company we retrieve these files from will not make
them
>available in a more convenient manner because "if we do it for you, we
have
>to do it for everyone". My arguement was that we already had access,
there
>was no need for a JAVA applet layer of abstraction. The arguement fell
on
>deaf ears, leaving me in this position.
>
>Does anyone have any ideas? I am trying some things, but looking for
>'eye-openers' and 'ah-ha's!'
>
>TIA!
>
>Jay

sorry, no "ah-ha's".

i'm assuming that zips are listed inside the applet, not in html?
if you don't have much respect for that company, you could "hack" the
applet (save it, decompile it), and than replicate
authentication and db queries(if any) in php script.
that way you could end up with list of links to zip files in php, so
download should be easy.

daniel farkas, bup at neobee.net