[thelist] SMTP/IIS5: how to filter and efficiently send e-mail

darren darren at web-bitch.co.uk
Thu Jun 27 13:26:01 CDT 2002

On Thursday, June 27, 2002 at 19:03, Chris W. Parker wrote:

CWP> 2. i'm looking for an article that i once read about using FSO to send
CWP> email instead of the CDONTS. for example instead of creating the email
CWP> through script you write a text file to an SMTP directory so that server
CWP> can take care of the mail at it's own pace. as it stands now, i'm trying
CWP> to send up to five emails one right after the in an .asp file. however
CWP> only the first one is coming through and i think it might be because
CWP> they are being fired too quickly. does anyone know what article i'm
CWP> talking about? or be able to give me instructions (example) on how i can
CWP> use the FSO to do this?

if you're running on win2K you can get CDO to do this for you.  something
like (watch for wrapping):

' include this at the top of your file:
   <!--metadata type="typelib" uuid="CD000000-8B95-11D1-82DB-00C04FB1625D" name="CDO for Windows 2000 Type Library" -->

   set objEmail = Server.CreateObject("CDO.Message")
   set objConf  = Server.CreateObject("CDO.Configuration")

   set objFields = objConf.Fields

   objFields.Item(cdoSendUsingMethod)           = cdoSendUsingPickup
   objFields.Item(cdoSMTPServerPickupDirectory) = "d:\inetpub\mailroot\Pickup"
   objFields.Item(cdoFlushBuffersOnWrite)       = true

' if you want to send via a port...
'   objFields.Item(cdoSendUsingMethod)           = cdoSendUsingPort
'   objFields.Item(cdoSMTPServer)                = "your smtp server here"

' if you need to authenticate
'   objFields.Item(cdoSMTPAuthenticate)          = cdoBasic
'   objFields.Item(cdoSendUserName)              = ""
'   objFields.Item(cdoSendPassword)              = ""

   objFields.Item(cdoSendUserReplyEmailAddress) = sFrom
   objFields.Item(cdoSendEmailAddress)          = sFrom
   objFields.Update

   set objEmail.Configuration = objConf
   objEmail.From     = sFrom
   objEmail.Subject  = sSubject
   if len(sAttach) > 0 then objEmail.AddAttachment sAttach
   if inStr(lcase(sEmail), "<html") > 0 then objEmail.HTMLBody = sEmail else objEmail.TextBody = sEmail

   objEmail.To = """" & strToName & """ <" & strToAddress & ">"""
   objEMail.Send

   set objEmail  = nothing
   set objFields = nothing
   set objConf   = nothing

the documentation on msdn is pretty good for this.

hth,

darren.