[thelist] SMTP/IIS5: how to filter and efficiently send e-mail

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Thu Jun 27 13:38:01 CDT 2002

yes i am. and i also have exchange 2k. although the webserver and the
exchange 2k server are on different domains. to be more specific the
webserver is not in a domain at all but rather it's own little
workgroup. and it's the ex2k box that is in the domain.

> ' include this at the top of your file:
>    <!--metadata type="typelib"
> uuid="CD000000-8B95-11D1-82DB-00C04FB1625D" name="CDO for
> Windows 2000 Type Library" -->
>

>    set objEmail = Server.CreateObject("CDO.Message")
>    set objConf  = Server.CreateObject("CDO.Configuration")
>
>    set objFields = objConf.Fields
>
>    objFields.Item(cdoSendUsingMethod)           = cdoSendUsingPickup
>    objFields.Item(cdoSMTPServerPickupDirectory) =
> "d:\inetpub\mailroot\Pickup"

can i set this using a UNC? \\exchangeBox\inetpub\mailroot\Pickup ?

>    objFields.Item(cdoFlushBuffersOnWrite)       = true
>
> ' if you want to send via a port...
> '   objFields.Item(cdoSendUsingMethod)           = cdoSendUsingPort
> '   objFields.Item(cdoSMTPServer)                = "your smtp
> server here"

should i uncomment this part and change "your smtp server here" to
"exchangeBox" ?

> ' if you need to authenticate
> '   objFields.Item(cdoSMTPAuthenticate)          = cdoBasic
> '   objFields.Item(cdoSendUserName)              = ""
> '   objFields.Item(cdoSendPassword)              = ""
>
>    objFields.Item(cdoSendUserReplyEmailAddress) = sFrom
>    objFields.Item(cdoSendEmailAddress)          = sFrom
>    objFields.Update
>
>    set objEmail.Configuration = objConf
>    objEmail.From     = sFrom
>    objEmail.Subject  = sSubject
>    if len(sAttach) > 0 then objEmail.AddAttachment sAttach
>    if inStr(lcase(sEmail), "<html") > 0 then
> objEmail.HTMLBody = sEmail else objEmail.TextBody = sEmail
>
>    objEmail.To = """" & strToName & """ <" & strToAddress & ">"""
>    objEMail.Send
>
>    set objEmail  = nothing
>    set objFields = nothing
>    set objConf   = nothing
>
> the documentation on msdn is pretty good for this.

i've consistently had bad luck finding any useful information on ms's
site. do you have a link? and or could you show me how i can use this?
i.e. what code do i need to execute this? does it get called as a Sub or
Function?

thanks for all the help so far.

chris.