[thelist] SMTP/IIS5: how to filter and efficiently send e-mail

darren darren at web-bitch.co.uk
Thu Jun 27 14:02:01 CDT 2002

On Thursday, June 27, 2002 at 19:37, Chris W. Parker wrote:

>>    objFields.Item(cdoSendUsingMethod)           = cdoSendUsingPickup
>>    objFields.Item(cdoSMTPServerPickupDirectory) =
>> "d:\inetpub\mailroot\Pickup"

CWP> can i set this using a UNC? \\exchangeBox\inetpub\mailroot\Pickup ?

i *think* so...as long as you have write permissions to that folder.  if
you have the smtp service running on the webserver, you can point that at
your mail relay and write the files to the local pickup directory.

>> ' if you want to send via a port...
>> '   objFields.Item(cdoSendUsingMethod)           = cdoSendUsingPort
>> '   objFields.Item(cdoSMTPServer)                = "your smtp
>> server here"

CWP> should i uncomment this part and change "your smtp server here" to
CWP> "exchangeBox" ?

i don't think so, as you're essentially doing the same as using
cdonts.newmessage to send the mail.  i managed to annoy our exchange admin
by getting it to handle several thousand mails in one go! :>

CWP> i've consistently had bad luck finding any useful information on ms's
CWP> site. do you have a link? and or could you show me how i can use this?
CWP> i.e. what code do i need to execute this? does it get called as a Sub or
CWP> Function?

i use google to search msdn...much easier than the ms effort.  just put:

   site:msdn.microsoft.com

in the search box with your criteria.

   http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cdosys/html/_cdosys_messaging.asp

is one of the probably the best place to start and just rummage through all
the stuff below it.  it's all there in various files! :>

hth,

darren.