[thelist] limit of large query result sets

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Thu Jun 27 14:58:01 CDT 2002

> Using PHP/MySQL, should I limit my select results
> to some small number and process the data in batches?
> Is the number of rows as important as the size of the data?

interesting question, mike

there are two strategies -- query only as much as you're going to display,
or query a bazillion rows and keep them in memory, so that subsequent
requests don't have to go back to the database

it's hard to picture 60,000 rows on a single web page, so you must be
thinking of the second strategy

with something as spiffy as LIMIT N,M at your disposal, though, the second
strategy loses some of its appeal

rudy