[thelist] revisited: css positioning

Shashank Tripathi sub at shanx.com
Fri Jun 28 02:25:01 CDT 2002

Hi Ted,

    > Is it possible to use fully compliant code
    > that works on all 3 equally well?

That's the million dollar question, isn't it. Depends on what you want
though. Take a look at (http://glish.com/css/) in different browsers. It
degrades quite well in Netscape 4.78 as well, but boy does it "degrade"!

However, and I know I am inviting a barrage of flames but this is just an
opinion, standards compliance does not necessarily mean good cross-browser
support, at least not yet. As long as you have simple looking pages -- with
2-3 columns, you know, from the Bloggers Anonymous gallery -- then you are
ok. But if you get into even slightly complicated pages, it gets pretty
painful. I have seen 20 MB CSS files, which I believe is not necessarily a
'benefit' of any kind.

-S.