[thelist] Content Management System on IIS 5

Steve Lewis slewis at macrovista.net
Fri Jun 28 04:16:00 CDT 2002

Madhu Menon wrote:
> At 12:44 AM 6/28/2002, Judah McAuley wrote:
>> trying to hit that middle area, but its certainly an undefined, immature
>> market.
> I think what's really needed is something that costs between US$500 and
> $1000. I chatted with Martin offlist and he told me that an installation of
Alas, the industry won't bear that sort of price structure at this time.
    One of the primary difficulties I see is that clients needs don't
fit well into the scope of shrink-wrap software solutions.  It seems
impractical for a software house to afford to develop a general-enough
and simple-enough and powerful-enough product to reach the market at a
street price of $1000 US.  Because volume is too difficult to reach a
broad enough market, any mid-level product is still in the range of
5-digits.  QuantumCMS(Aardvark's plug), SiteBuilder (Judah's plug), even
the non-profits such as Netcorps' Web Management System
(www.netcorps.org); they just don't serve the $100-$1000US audience well
yet.

> When you've got a 100-200 pages on your site, packages like Dreamweaver
> don't cut it, and anything bigger is unaffordable. It's a good market to
> be in.
At this point I would not trust a 100-200 page site to a $1000 US CMS,
but that's me... too jaded.

--Steve