[thelist] Re: Shopping Sites, Credit Cards

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Fri Jun 28 08:28:01 CDT 2002

On Friday, June 28, 2002, at 02:12  pm, Techwatcher wrote:

> For one thing, PayPal ensures its security in that customer funds are
> guaranteed, as they are in a bank

Sorry Carol, I'm not sure I buy that one until they obtain a banking
license.

> I love PayPal because I refuse to use any credit card, and they allow
> weird folks like me to link to a bank account instead of a credit card.

If I were linking PP to a bank account, I'd make very, very sure that I
*only* used that account for PP, and only kept enough money in it to
cover outgoing PP transactions (incoming monies get cleared to my main
account very quickly).

> Further, AFAIK, if you use PayPal the % you have to pay as merchant is
> lower than what you'd pay the credit card company if you processed the
> transaction through the credit card company yourself.

More likely to be true for larger amounts - if you have lots of small
payments, the flat fee they charge as well as their %age clip starts
becoming significant.

Cheers
Martin
   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,