[thelist] Re: Shopping Sites, Credit Cards

Feingold Josh S Josh.S.Feingold at irs.gov
Fri Jun 28 08:29:01 CDT 2002

> PayPal allows very simple and quick setup, all customer does is click
> the link you set up, and they are returned to you (at least, there is a
> return link supplied for them!) when they have confirmed the data you
> sent Paypal with their link-click. I love PayPal because I refuse to
> use any credit card, and they allow weird folks like me to link to a
> bank account instead of a credit card.

I haven't used PayPal for processing credit cards, but if this adds another
layer of work (e.g. signup) for the customer, I would suggest offering
PayPal as an alternative to tradional CC payment processing.

In my opinion, one of the main reasons that we see so many shopping carts
left without purchasing unlike at a brick and morter store is that there is
no one facing them when they have to make that final purchase decision.
When you are standing accross from the cashier with the item in hand there
are social reasons why you are less likely to just tell them to forget the
transaction.  However, online this does not hold true so every second that
you allow the customer to dwell on the purchase increases the probability
that they will just say "forget it" and dump the cart.  Make the purchase as
simple as possible and only collect that data which is absolutely necessary.

Josh