[thelist] Shopping Sites, Credit Cards

Kathy Long kathy at site-etc.com
Tue Jul 2 16:13:00 CDT 2002

>> B of A to get the facts.
>
>> They do NOT make cc numbers available to their vendors.
>> They are NOT visible or available in the sales history screen - the only
>> thing the merchant can see there is the type of credit card number used.
>> They DO keep credit card numbers in THEIR system accessible by B of A only.
>
> Interesting. I checked with three associates who run their own gateways and
> have merchant accounts with 3 different acquirer banks. Their response was
> that they always get the numbers on their merchant account statements from
> the banks. So this is something else to look for.

Not here. B of A does not make cc numbers available to us at all on the
statement, online, or by phone. I just spoke to a client of ours who uses
Authorize-net and it's the same thing for him. No credit card numbers
available to him at all, and he's the one who really tried to get them. If I
recall, his merchant account is with B of A, so perhaps this is a B of A
specific thing.

I'd like to know what gateways your associates use. Due to the very good
reasons you gave regarding security and employee theft, I probably won't
recommend them.

Kathy