[thelist] The Future of Browser-Bound XML?

jcanfield at magisnetworks.com jcanfield at magisnetworks.com
Wed Jul 3 14:50:01 CDT 2002

> So what are we supposed to use to display XML files to the
> web without first changing them into the HTML/CSS paradigm?
> Or is that how we're "supposed" to do it?

Hi joel (I just like typing that ;)

One of the points of XML is that it's more or less media-neutral. You can
populate your book's page layout, build your website, do data exchange with
dissimilar apps; whatever you can imagine. But each type of media needs a
display mechanism, and you can choose virtually any web-aware display
mechanism (XSLT, f'rinstance) to display it in a browser.

XML isn't intended to be the presentation, any more than the contents of a
SQL database should normally be presented without application of some type
of formatting.

joel