[thelist] The Future of Browser-Bound XML?

Chris Kaminski chris at setmajer.com
Wed Jul 3 23:38:01 CDT 2002

Thus spake Means, Eric D:

> Obviously XML is a superset of XHTML, and therefore there are an infinite
> number of XML docs that would not be valid XHTML (and may not display as
> readily in a browser); however it is clearly quite possible to write a pure
> XML file which, when combined with a proper CSS file, will display as
> expected in a browser.

Not to be pedantic, but IIRC XHTML is an XML /application/, not subset.
Calling it a subset is rather like calling MacOS 9 a 'C' subset.

As far as rendering arbitrary XML in a browser, it can be done in Moz now.
Dunno about other browsers, but IIRC IE/Win is pretty weak in this respect.
I wouldn't necessarily expect that to change soon, as MS undoubtedly has
strategic reasons for wanting arbitrary XML documents to not render so well
in their browser.

chris.kaminski == ( design | code | analysis )