[thelist] ASP and form question

Sharon F. Malone sfmalo at 24caratdesign.com
Mon Jul 8 02:34:01 CDT 2002

On July 7 at 11:55pm "Joel Canfield" wrote:

> > Could it be the reference to Request.Form in
> > line 25 strDefBody = "Sent by: " & Request.Form("require") &
> > vbCrlf & vbCrlf_    & Request.Form("order")? I'm not sure
> > what "Request.Form" refers to in relation to my form, so I
> > may have that wrong. And I think I have "require" and "order"
> > correct but not sure.
>
> I'll answer this briefly, and if it doesn't help, shout:
>
> Request.Form("fullname") in the action page would refer to this field in
> your form:
>
> Please enter your full name <input type="text" name="fullname" id="fullname"
> size="24">
>
> and
>
> Request.Form("email") would refer to this one
>
> Your e-mail address <input type="text" name="email" id="email" size="24">
>
> You can refer to each form element in the action page by referring to it as
> Request.Form("name_of_field") (except, of course, you put the real name
> you're using, as in the examples above.)
>
> What that means is that where you're referring to Request.Form("require") it
> is picking up the value of <input type="hidden" name="require"
> value="fullname"> which is hidden, so it better be getting this value from
> somewhere else. Why is the field hidden?

So Request.Form("require") will pick up the value "fullname" in my Name field which does say, in effect, "Please enter your full name <input type="text" name="fullname" id="fullname" size="24">??? That's what I'm hoping to achieve. I do have it as name="fullname" so guess I'm understanding that part.

> Also, where you refer to Request.Form("order") it's the value of this long
> bit:
>
> <.input type="hidden" name="order"
> value="fullname,address,city,state,zip,home phone,work phone,fax,email,Best
> Sellers,Special Gifts,Seasonal Selections,Corporate Gifts,Party Favors,Other
> Items,Comments">
>
> which I don't understand at all. The period at the beginning <.input
> confuses me, and I don't see how it's getting all the information for the
> value.

    First, I put the period in the tags only for emailing this message (just forget they're there 'cause they're not in the code). Second, that's the main problem. I'm not getting this information in the Body of the email message I'm receiving. And, this is the way the script is written. Third, is using the terminology "Request.Form" a standard method in VBscript ... because in looking through the rest of the script code I couldn't find a reference to "Request.Form". So I'm wondering if I should even be using it on line 25.

    And, is strDefBody the correct terminology to use? Should it be strBody? Again, neither one was in the original code. There was no line 25 as it exists now. I just put it in because I wasn't getting any of the Body info transmitted in the email ... and, alas,  am still not.

> Ah; the fact that these fields are hidden reminds me of the pseudo-mailto
> script I used to use from Matt's Script Archive; it somehow parsed all the
> form info and split it into meaningful pairs in an array. If that's what the
> lemur's doing, it's way over my head for CDONTS. I just assign each form
> element to a string variable, and refer to those strings in the setup which
> you were originally using.

Gosh, I don't know which way to go now. Hoping to get this one to work. <sigh>

thanks,
Sharon

Sharon F. Malone
"web design and Internet writing services"
http://www.24caratdesign.com
sfmalo at 24caratdesign.com