[thelist] Really dumb question...

Ken Kogler ken.kogler at cph.org
Mon Jul 8 14:14:01 CDT 2002

>> I was under the impression that slicing was still A Good Thing (tm) even
>> with XHTML/CSS2... two 10Kb graphics would download twice as fast as one
>> 10Kb graphic, no?

> Um... *what*?

AFAIK, IE (and I would assume other browsers) can download multiple items
(parts of a page) at once. If IE is downloading at 5Kb/sec, then the two
sliced up 10Kb graphics will appear on my screen fully rendered as one
graphics in 2 seconds. However, at 5Kb/sec, one 20Kb graphic (the same
thing, just not sliced) will take 4 seconds to show up... twice as long.

Of course, this whole thing depends on the observed behavior of multiple
graphics on a page downloading at once... have I been hallucinating? Is this
just IE-specific?

--ken