[thelist] Really dumb question...

jcanfield at magisnetworks.com jcanfield at magisnetworks.com
Mon Jul 8 14:30:00 CDT 2002

> AFAIK, IE (and I would assume other browsers) can download
> multiple items (parts of a page) at once. If IE is
> downloading at 5Kb/sec, then the two sliced up 10Kb graphics
> will appear on my screen fully rendered as one graphics in 2
> seconds. However, at 5Kb/sec, one 20Kb graphic (the same
> thing, just not sliced) will take 4 seconds to show up...
> twice as long.

It's not magic, it's just math: if your download speed is 5Kbps, and you're
downloading 20k, it will take (let me get my calculator; hmm . . . 20
divided by 5; yep) four seconds. No matter how you slice it. 20k at 5k per
second equals four seconds. The browser can't display it faster than your
internet connection feeds it.

Your argument above is analagous to saying that if two cars are going 60 mph
on the freeway, they'll get there in half the time, 'cause there's two of
'em. By the same logic, when I'm sharing the freeway with 27 million cars,
as I do each morning, I should get there about an hour before I leave.
(Perhaps I exaggerate, but I'm used to it.)

joel