[thelist] IE and Standards Compliance (was: Re: news.com article on browsers and mainstream sites etc..)

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 9 12:34:00 CDT 2002

--- James Aylard <evolt at pixelwright.com> wrote:
> Tom,
>
> > Along those lines, one feature we are using of IE is that is
> allows
> > native display of VML, which until very recently no other browser
> > could - I am not sure however about the new crop of Geckos out
> there.
>
>     As Mozillians will likely point out, VML is itself a
> proprietary
> technology -- submitted to the W3C [1], to be sure, but not a
> recommendation
> and never likely to become one. The W3C chose SVG [2] as its
> vector-graphics
> language, and VML will probably forever be considered a
> Microsoft-proprietary technology (though in fact it received the
> backing of
> other heavy hitters such as HP, Macromedia, and Autodesk). There is
> some
> thought that Mozilla will integrate SVG into its browser [3] as
> Microsoft
> has integrated VML in IE, but I don't think that's a reality yet.
>     On IE-based Intranets and other IE-only sites, VML integration
> can
> indeed be one of those innovations that provide considerable value
> to web
> developers. Hopefully some day Microsoft will also integrate SVG
> into IE,
> but I won't hold my breath.

Yes, you are right James, I should have stated that as you did. We
are actually moving it to SVG anyway. But we were able to get the
Demo and proof of concept working with VML, which would only work in
IE.

I thought that SVG was already a recommendation but I could be wrong.
The thing about SVG is that it requires a download...at this point
VML in IE does not - we were trying to keep stuff working in the
browser as is.

Tom

=====
var me = tom.pixelmech.webDeveloper();