[thelist] Re: chmod 774

Tim Luoma luomat at peak.org
Tue Jul 9 14:42:03 CDT 2002

Jonathan_A_McPherson at rl.gov wrote:

>>Does chmoding a web viewable directory 774 constitute a security risk?
>>

>I think the proper spelling is "chmodding." (-;
>
>For you non-Unix folks out there, chmod 774 equates to
>
> user: read, write, execute (4 + 2 + 1 = 7)
>group: read, write, execute (4 + 2 + 1 = 7)
>other: read (4)

Note that the directory's contents would not be viewable to the "other"
group as the directory must be "executable" for that to happen.
711 (where 1 = execute only) is what is generally needed for web
directories i.e. ~/public_html/ and 774 would render it unreadable to
the httpd

>What user is your web server running as? Are they in the group?

Note that if this is on a shared server and there is shell access
someone in your group could look at your website, compare it to the
standard directory for web files (i.e. ~/public_html/) and delete your
files.

I had someone on a shared server who wrote a script that looked at every
users' $HOME/public_html for writable directories and uploaded a file to
it.  Fortunately he did not do something like:

    find . -print |xargs rm -rf

which would have totally hosed those of us who had mistakenly left
writeable directories about the place.

TjL