[thelist] Re: IE and Standards Compliance (was: Re: news.com article on browsers and mainstream sites etc..)

James Aylard evolt at pixelwright.com
Tue Jul 9 17:43:01 CDT 2002

Tim,

    Again, I'm avoiding the anti-Microsoft stuff. It's obviously a passion
with you, and a winding path to nowhere as a discussion topic, IMO.

> I love that I ***have*** to use IE to close Windows security holes -- not.

    Incidentally, you don't have to use IE to close Windows security holes
[1](and I'm assuming the "not" modifies "close", and not "have to", which
would mean that you already know that you don't have to use IE to close
Windows security holes).

> >IE does support that, and has since IE 4.
> >
> Um... no it doesn't.... IE6/win renders it as a solid border... I use
> "outset" all the time at TnTLuoma.com and it renders ugly on IE

    I'll be absolutist on this point: it does. Granted, when using certain
colors the effect may be difficult to see, but IE does produce a
differentiated, outset border for "border-style: outset". If you increase
the width of your border, the effect becomes more apparent.

> I actually had someone on an MS newsgroup tell me that IE did support
> <q> it just didn't add the quotes to it... which is somewhat true... If
> you apply, say "bold" to <q> it will show up in IE, but real support for
> it would be proper quoting in the document's language.

    This is correct. IE has supported <q> for markup purposes since IE 4/Win
32, but it does not yet support the automatic insertion of quote marks.
Personally, I find this added functionality a little superfluous, but I
suppose that it is somewhat akin to unordered lists inserting bullets for
each list item. Regardless, it is part of the spec, and I would hope that
Microsoft would implement it, at least in IE's standards-compliance mode.

1.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/
current.asp

James Aylard