[thelist] Re: IE and Standards Compliance (was: Re: news.com article on browsers and mainstream sites etc..)

Tim Luoma luomat at peak.org
Tue Jul 9 19:39:01 CDT 2002

James Aylard wrote:

>    Incidentally, you don't have to use IE to close Windows security holes

Let me rephrase.... I have to use IE to use WindowsUpdate, the easy way
of finding/closing security holes or new drivers (although CNet's
Catchup service does a good job on most of the security stuff).

It'd be nice to be able to use whatever browser I wanted.  However I
appreciate the URL and will sign up for their security bulletins

(time passes)

Oh look, I have to use Passport in order to sign up for their security
notifications online...  or else sign up via email which "Requires 72
hours to Process" -- why?  Why does it take 72 hours to join a mailing

>I'll be absolutist on this point: it does. Granted, when using certain
>colors the effect may be difficult to see, but IE does produce a
>differentiated, outset border for "border-style: outset". If you increase
>the width of your border, the effect becomes more apparent.

Wow, wrong again... ok you're right... I chose the color red and setup a
test page here:

http://www.tntluoma.com/temp/ie-and-outset.html

Now it renders extremely ugly in IE, but it does work.  I stand
corrected, it does work

>P.S - Congratulations on your new baby.

Thank you... he does help to keep all this nonsense in perspective,
although tonight he was acting like he had inherited my temperment....
hopefully it will pass ;-)

TjL