[thelist] [OT] Linux Virus Scanning

Burhan Khalid burhankhalid at members.evolt.org
Tue Jul 9 22:59:14 CDT 2002

Hello All :

I was wondering what the prominent Linux virus scanner was (I use NAV
2002 on XP).  I have been out of the loop as far as Linux goes, and I
decided to finally configure my machine as a dual boot. I am not a
/complete/ newbie when it comes to Linux, but am a little rusty. Also,
is there a proper way to configure the Linux firewall? I don't want to
alienate people. For now, all I'm allowing are HTTP connections (no
telnet, ftp). However, the firewall applet that came with RH 7.3 allows
for customization beyond my comprehension.

Also, now that I think about it, is there a way for Linux to
automatically logon to my ISP (I'm on DSL, but its PPPoE). I had to
option of starting the eth0 service at bootup, but that doesn't logon to
the net (it just times out). I need for it to start the PPP service. For
now, my solution is to save my X windows session with the usernet app
open, so I can manually logon to the net.

Any help in these matters is greatly appreciated.
--Burhan

<tip type="Windows XP Disk Partitioning" author="Burhan Khalid">
    Can't figure out partition information for your XP box? My first
suggestion is to use a commerical program (Partition Magic Pro). Secondly,
you can use the "removeable media" snap-in for the Microsoft Management
Console (mmc from the run command). If you goof up, you can use chkdsk
/f (if you have a bootup disk), or load your computer from the XP CDROM,
choose recovery, and then diagnose your problem.
</tip>