[thelist] Re: Security on the web - NEVER post pictures of children (with names)

ERIC JOHNSON ERIC.JOHNSON at desertschools.org
Wed Jul 10 13:09:01 CDT 2002

The release of information not so explicitly marked as "private" can be frightening, especially when you consider how obscure the source of it may be.

I have a daughter now, and have pics on the web and it's not something that pops up in your head unless you are paranoid.  Regardless, all these suggestions have been great and I'll soon be adding some security.  I like to publicize the pics in my message board signatures to get a few "oohs" and "aahs", but now the thought of what's behind those oohs and aahs kinda frightens me.

I'm laughing at the penguin comment, it's quite true (security through obscurity in the most extreme sense).  The only other "real" solution is discussion and awareness on both accounts of what is out there.  There are many beautiful people in this world just as there are murderers and rapists, no need to run from everyone, but discretion does need to be taught at an early age...

Come up with passwords of your own, tell your child nobody will EVER pick them up (and the onus is on your to keep this true) instead of mommy or daddy, that if anyone says the know us or want to talk to you, ask for the password (even if there isn't one!).  One of the latest techflicks, Minority Report, touches a soft spot for those with kids.  Should we arm them with a high pitched whistle or something should they be unable to speak or scream out?  Kids will often abuse such toys and it might turn out to be more of a burden than a help, but who knows?

Point is, I don't exactly agree with not posting pictures on the internet, as mentioned, they can easily be snatched from public record or other outlets.  But perhaps a healthy dose of paranoia is in order for the sake of safety and peace of mind.  On top of that, educate your child as soon as possible about the dangers out there.  Suspicion is not something a child should have to deal with, but neither are what we see on the news each day.

Happy parenting,

Eric Johnson