[thelist] 8k Row limits must Go!

Rob Smith rob.smith at thermon.com
Wed Jul 10 15:38:01 CDT 2002

Hi Jonathan,

I'm building a CMS and part of it allows users to enter an technical
article. Well the 8k limit is a hindering for the users cannot enter
articles any longer than 1600 or so words, or about 3 (8.5" X 11") pages.
Some of our technical articles extend beyond 14 pages.

I do agree that the data type "text" does allow my users to enter data
longer than that. However, when I go to retrieve that data into a
<textarea></textarea> for example, the info appears missing; nor can be
displayed (asp 2.0) <%=article.fields.item(CMSFeatureBody).value%>.

The alternatives I've considered and you've mentioned is to hack up the data
and store it into two different rows or tables... I'm not sure how to do
this:

If CMSFeatureBody > 8K then
   first half = second half = CMSFeatureBody / 2
   store first half in row 1
   store second half in row 2
end if

me

> How do I increase the row size in a MS SQL Server 7/2000 database beyond
8k?

Why do you need rows > 8k? AFAIK, there's no way to increase that number.

Some potential solutions:
(1) Store your larger character fields in fields of type "text," which only
use 16 bytes of your row size regardless of the amount of text they contain.
(Text fields have many disadvantages).

(2) Split up your data into two tables with a 1:1 relationship between the
two. You then get almost 16K of row space. You can keep doing this to get
almost arbitrarily large rows (at the expense of query simplicity).

(3) Become a Microsoft(R) partner and get the source code to SQL Server
(R)(TM) under their Shared Source (TM) program. In
"constants/sqlsrvint/limits.c" on line 2455, change:

#define MAX_ROW_SIZE 	8192

#define MAX_ROW_SIZE 	8193

or whatever size you need. Recompile.

--