[thelist] Re: Background Music

Benjamin kalos at carolina.rr.com
Wed Jul 10 20:27:01 CDT 2002

At Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 16:12:22 -0500
>From: Ken Kogler <ken.kogler at cph.org>

>I'd rip it to mp3, then embed the mp3 in a small flash file, and stick that
>up into the corner of the page somewhere reasonably out of the way. If you
>don't know flash, there are tons of helpful people on the friendsofed.com
>message boards, and if you ask nicely, one of them may help you out...
>
>Of course, since it's in a flash file, you can also build in an OFF SWITCH
>(or perhaps make 'off' the default, and build in an 'on' switch :) and a
>volume control...
>
>You mentioned you want fully cross-browser, plugin-free pages. I don't think
>you'll achieve that (sorry), but flash is pretty universal at this point.
>It's on something like +90% of all computers (AFAIK). Should be good
>enough...

I beg to differ (ok, not beg.. I flat out disagree). I know of entire
corporations/agencies that
do not have flash installed on their machines. Case in point was when I
worked for the gov't,
we didn't install flash as it wasn't needed. Less apps == less support
after all. I personally
don't due to all of the annoying "next-gen" banner ads that have become so
commonplace.
I couldn't even load my last employers site for 2 months since it was done
entirely in flash.

Wav files are supported by all the major browsers and as far as I can
remember the
stop/cancel button will cease any background sound if controls are absent.