[thelist] Offline code validation tools

Duncan O'Neill dbaxo at ihug.co.nz
Thu Jul 11 16:59:01 CDT 2002

James Newbery wrote:
> Hello listers,
>
> I'm looking for a quality, useful, usable HTML, XHTML
> and CSS offline validation tool. Quite honestly, I
> can't be bothered trying all of them to find which one
> is the best. Lazy, I know.
>
> But this is because I respect your opinions. Who has a
> tupenny's worth of advice on the matter?
>
> Jim

In the past I've used both the CSE Validator, and
Liam Quinn's A Real Validator. IMO the latter is way
better, and I've since ditched CSE for ARV. The former
is more like an HTML Lint, it will throw 'errors' which
aren't strictly validation errors.

To re-check, I ran the page linked below through
all three. Online version of CSE validator: 8 errors.
A Real Validator (local): 0 errors.
W3C validator: 0 errors.

hth,
Duncan O'Neill