[thelist] PHP session lifetime?!

John Corry webshot at members.evolt.org
Sat Jul 13 14:51:00 CDT 2002

> to that page, if I use the Back button, then the browser says
> the page expired. Would I have to start using cookies (I
> didn't want it because I'm gonna have to make functions to
> check, etc, and some browsers don't support cookies or may
> even have it disabled) ? Isn't there a variable that I can
> set which defines the expiring time of the session?

Sessions that are not propagated by cookies are propagated by a 'unique'
session identifier string appended to URLs in your site. So...if a user
leaves your site nad starts following links on other sites, they lose
that identifying string and are not recognizable when they return. You
*could* do some jumping through hoops to identify usrs by
$_SERVER["HTTP_HOST"], but that wouldn't really be much more reliable
than just using cookies.

http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.session.php

John Corry
Neon Cowboy Design