[thelist] A most basic Java question

Shashank Tripathi sub at shanx.com
Sun Jul 14 07:18:01 CDT 2002

Hey Frank,

Welcome to Java!

    | In what environment does one program Java? What is Java's
    | equivalent of a compiler? Any pointers to utterly basic
    | Java sites would be appreciated. Once I get my feet wet,
    | I'm sure the more typical sites will be much more amenable.

I am assuming you have downloaded the Java SDK
(http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/)? They have a docs folder in there which
should be useful as you go along.

For the compiler, look for a file called "Javac.exe". That's Java
compiler (http://snipurl.com/javac).

Meanwhile, although it is highly recommended that you start off with
Notepad and manuallly compiling in a DOS prompt, e.g.,

	c:\javac myfile.java

..once you have tha hang of it, you'll find Textpad very useful
(compilation, error tracking etc are all built into this extremely
light-weight editor). You can find it at http://www.textpad.com/.

As for some beginner stuff,  you really should start from Sun's own
http://snipurl.com/new2java, and then feel free to step off to a popular
forum like Javaranch (http://snipurl.com/javaranch) for your questions.

Hope this is useful...have fun and holler whenever you need more help.

Cheers,
Shanx

--
Shashank Tripathi