[thelist] site check -- http://spinhead.com/new

Mark Gallagher mark at cyberfuddle.com
Sun Jul 14 23:00:11 CDT 2002

Joel,

<snip />

> http://spinhead.com/new

Okay, using Moz1.1a/Linux (at 1171x950) with font-size specified as
minimum 12px, font-family forced at Helvetica, and popups disabled.  It
looks pretty good, if not the stuffy "professional" look most people
tend to look for (presumably you're aiming for the "cool" end of the
market instead :-)).  Unfortunately, the right hand side of the curl
image is slightly out of whack with the rest of it, and drops down lower
than it should.  Also, I don't think the link hover is that nice (sorry!).

Damn, I like the pitch you made in the "Why?" section.

Uh, using "???" for your portfolio probably isn't a good idea.  Why not
just say "Portfolio", "Designs we've done", or (fitting in with your
theme) "Where?"?

Using Lynx 2.8.4/Linux (at 80x24, of course), it works fine (hooray for
image map ALT text!), but doesn't make any sense.  If it weren't for the
TITLE, I wouldn't have a clue who or what you were.  Not sure how I'd
fix this - maybe a header or two set to display: none;?  Or perhaps
*shudder* a bit of browser sniffing or object detection?

Using Netscape Navigator 4.78/Linux (at 1171x950), the front page
actually looks *better* than it does in Moz.  I won't give you
nightmares by telling you how the other pages look, though, other than
to say that I'm seeing bright green text on a bright green background.
Damn Netscape!

Using the latest Dillo build (at 640x480), with font forced to
Helvetica, font-size at 120%, and white backgrounds disabled, it looks
pretty darn awful.  However, it's nice and readable, and Dillo users are
probably used to sites looking pretty darn awful (here's a test: load
Dillo, point it to <http://zeldman.com/> - see?).

Using Opera 5/Linux (1171x950), default settings, it looks bloody
awesome!  Everything lines up like it does in Netscape, and the other
pages look as good as in Moz (better, with the font you've chosen).

Uhh, that's about it.  It took me a little while to realise (on the
portfolio page) that the headers were links, though.  May want to
rectify that, and maybe also add screenshots of the sites you've designed.

--
Mark Gallagher
http://cyberfuddle.com/infinitebabble/