[thelist] site check -- http://spinhead.com/new

Simon Willison simon at incutio.com
Mon Jul 15 04:39:16 CDT 2002

At 14:35 15/07/2002 +1000, Mark Gallagher wrote:
>Sensored wrote:
>>Okay is it just me or can everyone else understand what language is the
>>text on the "Who" and "What" pages???
>
>It's latin - an excerpt from Cicero's famous essay that begins "Lorem
>ipsum sit amet...".
>
>http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Lorem_ipsum
>
>I'm sure there are a few list members who understand it - I don't.

I'm pretty sure it isn't even "real" Latin - I asked about this once before
and was told that it has lost a lot of correctness over the years. Filler
text like this is called "greeking", and an Evolt member once created a new
updated "greeking for the 21st century":

http://www.lemurzone.com/notes/greeking.htm