[thelist] OT: Reasons for a real domain not...

Mark Gallagher mark at cyberfuddle.com
Mon Jul 15 08:05:02 CDT 2002

Bob Boisvert wrote:

<snip />

 > Does anyone have any other comments about why a non profit group
 > should opt for a real domain and web site? Any comments are welcome.

* Professionalism.  You won't be taken seriously without your own
   domain.
* Control.  Most paid hosts have laxer TsOU than free hosts do.
* Like you said, visibility, but for a different reason: greenpeace.org
   is *much* easier to remember[0] than
   fortunecities.com/hollywoodblvd/12340198312/greenpeace/mysite.htm.
* Support.  Paid hosts will often provide great tech support - you don't
   get the same from free hosts.
* Reliability.  When a paid host goes down, even for just 30 seconds,
   it's a crisis that could cost them business.  Thus, they're obviously
   desperate to make sure it doesn't happen (or, if it does, that it
   doesn't affect you too badly).  Paid hosts can safely shrug and say
   "meh, you wanna refund?"
* Pricing.  Free hosts may be, well, *free*[1], but paid hosts aren't
   that much more expensive.  At most, for a reasonably large (by my
   standards) site, I may end up paying AU$110[2] for a much better deal.

[0] Not to mention for J Random (l)User to come across out of curiosity
[1] Hence the name :-)
[2] That's with hosting from <http://www.affordablehost.com/> and domain
     from <http://www.joker.com/>

--