[thelist] Tables and things

Joel Konkle-Parker jjk3 at msstate.edu
Mon Jul 15 13:00:11 CDT 2002

I've got an XSLT stylesheet that transforms XML pages into XHTML pages (but
that's not really important).

As an example, look at:
http://www.ballsome.com/games/software/articles/20020304-1.xml

The entire page is embedded in a big table, as such:

----------------------------
|  |<thead> - menus, etc   |
----------------------------
|B |                |links||
|a |  <tbody>       |     ||
|l |                |form ||
|l |  4 columns     |     ||
|s |                |copy-||
|o |  article       |right||
|m |  content       |     ||
|e |                |etc  ||
----------------------------
|  | <tfoot> - 2 columns   |
----------------------------

The entire width of the table is a set px number, but none of the columns have
set widths or heights. In most of the pages, the article content is wide enough
to wrap around, pushing the links column as narrow as possible with the content
it contains. That's the desirable condition.

Now, look at this page:
http://www.ballsome.com/games/games.xml

This has the same layout, except the article column isn't wide enough to fill
itself, and it collapses in kind of an ugly fashion.

So, my question: is there a way to tell it to expand the article column to its
full potential (or shrink the links column to its minimum for the content it
contains) without specifying a certain px width?

-joel