[thelist] help with windows batch or windows script file

David Dorward evolt at david.us-lot.org
Mon Jul 15 18:18:26 CDT 2002

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 15:38:01 -0700 (PDT)
"Tom Dell'Aringa" <pixelmech at yahoo.com> wrote:

> My wife and I like to listen to a particular station on Windows Media
> Player at night. Often, we zonk in progress.
>
> I wanted to write some kind of batch file or script file that I could
> run before I went to bed that would essentially do this:
>
> 1: shut down media player
> 2: shut down the computer
> 3: give me a backrub (optional)
>
> Anyone?

http://www.robvanderwoude.com/index.html

Stick it in whatever the windows version of cron is (does X at time
Y), windows shutting down should kill Media Player.

Wire a relay in between the computer power supply (where it hocks in
to the wall socket), set it up so when power is going to the PC the
electromagnet keeps the relay's switch to off, when the power goes off
the magnet stops, the spring pushes the metal against the contact,
power flows, and the back massager you have plugged in to it is
activated.

<tip>
While being non-free VMWare (http://www.vmware.com/) lets you have
half a dozen (or more) versions of Windows installed at once. You can
put a different version of IE on each to test pages in different
versions.
</tip>

--
David Dorward                                   http://david.us-lot.org/
HTML email is a bit like using coloured paper and glitter ink on a CV.