[thelist] help with windows batch or windows script file

David Dorward evolt at david.us-lot.org
Mon Jul 15 19:20:13 CDT 2002

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 16:24:01 -0700 (PDT)
"Tom Dell'Aringa" <pixelmech at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > http://www.robvanderwoude.com/index.html
> >
> > Stick it in whatever the windows version of cron is (does X at time
> > Y), windows shutting down should kill Media Player.

> David, what am I supposed to be grabbing on that page? Its the home
> page... but good idea for #3 ;)

OK, its official:

(1) Frames are EVIL!
(2) Misused JavaScript is evil!
(3) Misused HTTP_REFERRER is evil!

This is what happened. I did a google search. I clicked on a promising
link. JavaScript redirected me (without me noticing) to the frameset
page, presumably with more JavaScript to put the page I actually tried
to visit in one of the frames. The result - I copy/pasted the URL of
the frameset, but people following the copy/paste didn't send the
HTTP_REFERRER to get the page I intended.

Anyway, this is the page I intended you to see:
http://www.robvanderwoude.com/shutdown.html

(My goodness, an offtopic thread somehow turned in to an ontopic
usability rant!)http://www.robvanderwoude.com/shutdown.html

--
David Dorward                                   http://david.us-lot.org/
HTML email is a bit like using coloured paper and glitter ink on a CV.