[thelist] testing for empty in javascript or vbscript

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 15 20:43:00 CDT 2002

--- Shashank Tripathi <sub at shanx.com> wrote:
>     | the eval() function is WAY WAY overused by programmers.
>
> Agreed!
>

>     | Danny Goodman says if you are using eval(), you need to
>     | find a better way of doing things. Some people say if you
>     | are using eval, you are just being lazy (that might be a
>     | bit harsh ;))
>

> Who's Danny Goodman?

Danny Goodman is the author of the indispensible JavaScript Bible,
4th Edition, and an all around js guru guy.

But eval is way way useful if you are drawing
> a lot
> of Javascript dynamically. For an intranet system, where we could
> settle
> for IE-only solution, eval() was almost indispensible. Besides,
> sometimes, a server side language will impose constraints on you
> that
> will go against the grain of coding puritanism..e.g., I don't like
> call my radio buttons "myradio[]" (with those braces) but I have to
> do
> it in PHP.

I code at work for IE only all the time, I NEVER use eval, especially
for DHTML. Maybe its a learned thing - don't want to start a holy war
here, but I still sit on the side that says don't use it.

> Why did I wake up today! Its raining/storming/typhooning out here
> in
> Tokyo like there's no tomorrow. How's that for an eval(weather)...
> :)
>
> -S.
>

> --

=====