[thelist] snapshot of a webpage

Mark Gallagher mark at cyberfuddle.com
Tue Jul 16 02:53:01 CDT 2002

Erick Papadakis wrote:
> hello, does anyone know how i can take visual snapshots of a page
> automatically (like a crawler script, not manually PRTSCRing) and save
> them as thumbnails? is there any library or tool to do this? to traverse
> thru my filesystem and take a snapshot of how the page would look based
> on the html encountered within that page?

A *visual* crawler?

I don't know of one - but if you'd like to write it, you'd be doing the
world a service :o).

Seriously.  Imagine a Google that understands CSS (not particularly
important, sure, but it could do stuff like display a tiny thumbnail of
every page if requested, or understand "display: none;").  Way cool.

Hmm, I'd better shut up now, I'm fresh out of tips.

--
Mark Gallagher
http://cyberfuddle.com/infinitebabble/