[thelist] snapshot of a webpage

David Dorward evolt at david.us-lot.org
Tue Jul 16 07:58:01 CDT 2002

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 00:41:32 -0700 (PDT)
Erick Papadakis <erick_papadakis at yahoo.com> wrote:

> hello, does anyone know how i can take visual snapshots of a page
> automatically (like a crawler script, not manually PRTSCRing) and save
> them as thumbnails? is there any library or tool to do this? to
> traverse thru my filesystem and take a snapshot of how the page would
> look based on the html encountered within that page?

Possibly *nix only, possibly part of kde-cygwin[1] you could take a
look at kwebdesktop. Its designed to download webpages and save them
to an image file (for use as updating wallpaper). Example syntax:

kwebdesktop 800 600 file.png

You could probably rig up a shell script using find and sed to
traverse the directory tree, make empty dirs and run kwebdesktop to
generate the images.

[1]http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/

--
David Dorward                                   http://david.us-lot.org/
HTML email is a bit like using coloured paper and glitter ink on a CV.