[thelist] SQL Server 2000 or mySQL?

Ken Kogler ken.kogler at cph.org
Tue Jul 16 08:50:01 CDT 2002

I'm going to be getting a DSL line and moving my websites from a hosting
provider (Win2K/SQL2000) to my own dedicated Win2K boxen. I've got the
licensing all squared away, except for my db server.

Is SQL Server 2000 really worth the money, or is mySQL running on Win2K a
reasonable alternative (especially given it's price)?

SQL is SQL, so I shouldn't have to worry about changing my code if I switch
to mySQL, right? I don't think I'm using MS-proprietary SQL in anything...

Thoughts/arguments/flames? :)

--ken