[thelist] SQL Server 2000 or mySQL?

Michael Kimsal michael at tapinternet.com
Tue Jul 16 09:31:05 CDT 2002

Michael K. Ahn wrote:
> I think the choice comes down to corporate policies and preference.
> Many companies want someone to be responsible for the support of an
> application, so it's worth it to pay a few thousand dollars and have a
> company like Microsoft available to back an application.
>
> Of course, for a personal website, or clients with a cash crunch,
> nothing beats free.
>
> Finally, it depends on your application and your preferred method of
> programming.  If you want/need certain capabilities through ADO, etc...
> that may swing your decision one way or another.

MySQL does in fact offer good support.  For a few hundred bucks,
you can have someone actually ssh into your machine, diagnose a
problem, reconfigure or rearrange what needs to be done, and you're
off and running.  MS tech support won't directly touch your
machine for just about any amount of money.  I worked at a company
which was spending something like $50k - $100k a year in MS
support, but it was still hard getting good support on esoteric
SQL6.5 problems.