[thelist] Media-specific Stylesheets

Joel Konkle-Parker jjk3 at msstate.edu
Tue Jul 16 15:25:13 CDT 2002

I've heard enough about stylesheets to know that they're marketed in part so
that the same content can be displayed multiple different ways depending on its
context. That's what XML is all about. You can have a XSLT or CSS stylesheet for
screen display, another for print display, another for TV, another for mobile,
another for audible.

That's all fine and good, and the possibilities seem endless. But my question is
how do I actually implement such a thing? If I have an XML file, how do I send
it with a different XSLT stylesheet depending on where it's going? If I have a
HTML file, how do I send it with a different CSS stylesheet? Does it have to be
through Javascript or CGI scripts that go in there and change the <link> or
<?xml-stylesheet?> tags?

Maybe I need a wider view on the situation.

-joel