[thelist] quoting long URLs Re: news.com article

Scott Schrantz scotts at rci-nv.com
Tue Jul 16 17:52:01 CDT 2002

Your mail client must not be set to use text wrap, since your test URL is
still on one line, as you can see if you stretch the window out to about
2000 pixels wide. That's why it works here in Outlook; the wrap is only
virtual.
The real test is to see if the <> can reassemble a URL that's been broken up
by carriage returns, since many mailing lists recommend you use text wrap to
automatically insert CRs in your message. Which mail clients can do that?

Here's another test with text wrap on. This is not clickable in Outlook. Is
it clickable anywhere?

http://www.tntluoma.com/pics?dir=pictures/beagles&pic=9&othereallylong&usele
ss&nothelpful&more&more&more&more&more&more&more&more&more&more&more&more&mo
re&more&more&more&more&more&more&more

<http://www.tntluoma.com/pics?dir=pictures/beagles&pic=9&othereallylong&usel
ess&nothelpful&more&more&more&more&more&more&more&more&more&more&more&more&m
ore&more&more&more&more&more&more&more>

Also, putting <URL: before the link makes nothing clickable in Outlook, not
even a short url.

--
Scott Schrantz
work: www.rci-nv.com