[thelist] [not quite OT] C++ compiler help needed

Paul Cowan evolt at funkwit.com
Tue Jul 16 21:11:00 CDT 2002

Hi all,

This is sort-of-nearly-off-topic, but not quite. I am working on hacking
the offline htmlhelp.com validator for Win32 environments (I know you can
run the perl one on win32, but let's face it, most people don't much want
to), and I'm planning on releasing it as freeware when I'm done (whoah!
steady!): so (at last) there will be a totally free, SGML-based HTML
validator for Windows. Hooray!

My question is this: the htmlhelp.com validator uses lq-nsgmls, a slightly
modified version of the nsgmls SGML parser. The nsgmls parser is available
in a win32 binary version at:
    http://www.jclark.com/sp/howtoget.htm
so no problems there.

But I would like to be able to use the lq-nsgmls version, which is only
available in source format. Apparently, it's not difficult to build a win32
version if you use cygwin etc, but I don't have a C++ development
environment set up. So what I'm looking for is someone who can:

1) d/l the C++ source at:
   http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/offline/lq-sp-1.3.4.7.tar.gz

2) compile a win32 lq-nsgmls binary

3) email it to me

Then, life should be good! And frankly, I think it's a worthy project.
Hehe.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Paul

PS: Just in case:
<tip type="ASP & SQL Server">
Always select your TEXT fields from SQL server last in your recordset,
and access them in ASP <em>after</em> you've finished with all the
other fields
</tip>