[thelist] Re: Any way to get valid number definitions list?

Tim Luoma luomat at peak.org
Tue Jul 16 22:04:01 CDT 2002

rudy wrote:
>>Is there a way to combine this with a <ol> <li> list
>>so that the definition terms are numbered?
>
> dude, you're always pushing the envelope, eh?

These are the things I think of while other people are sleeping ;-)

> the following will validate
>
>    <ol>
>    </ol>

Oh quite excellent!  Cool!  I was looking too closely for a way to wrap
<dl> around the whole thing.

You can see this in action at
http://www.tntluoma.com/fun/fwd/malethesaurus/

Interestingly, the numbers do not appear in IE6/win

They appear in NN4.79 although not quite lined up the way you'd expect.

> and can be made to look somewhat okay with
>
>   dl {  margin-top:-1em; }
>

> i'm surprised at myself, for even suggesting a hack like a negative margin
 >
> maybe today's the day for hacks, though -- i thought the /*/*/ netscape
> hack on mark pilgrim's site was really rather inventive, or perhaps it was
> just the way he explained it (o got dizzy after the third level of logical
> nesting, actually)

I had to bookmark that for another day because it made my head throb
reading it.

TjL