[thelist] modified <pre></pre> blocks

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 17 00:38:00 CDT 2002

interestingly, i've implemented a JS-free version of this on my site,
but it doesn't do line numbers (not to say it can't yet), it doesn't
wrap the text (although that's a CSS1 addition), and right now, it
needs some tweaks for N6 (that don't break IE5/Mac)...

http://roselli.org/adrian/articles/breadcrumbs.asp
http://roselli.org/adrian/articles/style_switcher.asp

i'd be interested to hear how it compares with .jeff's approach --
faster, slower, more buggy, less buggy, brown, etc...

> From: ".jeff" <jeff at members.evolt.org>
[...]
> i've been playing around with trying to alter the way code is
> displayed in a <pre></pre>, mostly in an effort to find a solution
> that will keep long lines from breaking the design by pushing out
> beyond the boundaries of the content area.
>
> http://members.evolt.org/jeff/code/modified_pre_blocks.cfm
>
> ie5+/win users with js enabled should see line numbers and long lines
> should wrap.  all other competent css capable browsers should show the
> <pre></pre> blocks in a scrollable area.  all other browsers should
> display normal, undecorated <pre></pre> blocks.
[...]
--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself