[thelist] Checking to see that an email account exists

Joel Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Wed Jul 17 09:36:01 CDT 2002

> What I'm am looking to do is verify someone's email address
> from the processing page of a signup form and scrub a list of
> emails to figure out which ones are valid.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> -joshua

The only truly definite way I know of to verify an e-mail address is to send
a query, and if you get a valid response, it's a valid address. If you
don't, it's inconclusive.

In other words, make 'em validate their own addresses. If you're providing a
service which they've opted into, they'll expect it. If you're sp4mm1ng
them, they'll ignore you and be happy.

joel