[thelist] XP Pro and Multiple versions if IE?

James Aylard evolt at pixelwright.com
Wed Jul 17 09:44:00 CDT 2002

Pat,

> I'm getting a new computer and I just read where XP you can have multiple
> operating systems and partitions. What I'd like to do, is have the ability
> to run different versions of IE, like 4.x, 5x and 6.x.

    Unless I am mistaken, this would be no different than for any other
version of Windows where you've set up multiple partitions. Instead, I
strongly suggest that you consider using either VMware [1] or Virtual PC [2]
to run multiple OSes (far more conveniently, IMO).

1. http://www.vmware.com/products/desktop/ws_features.html
2. Win32: http://www.connectix.com/products/vpc4w.html,
   Mac: http://www.connectix.com/products/vpc5m.html

James Aylard

<tip type="VMware">

    If you use VMware 3.x and you tend to create multiple, nearly duplicate
copies of an OS to run, say, different versions of IE, VMware allows you to
create one base copy of the OS, and then to create virtual disks that
contain only the modifications to the base copy, leaving the base copy
intact. Potentially this can save hundreds of megabytes, even gigabytes, of
disk storage while making maintenance far, far simpler. For details, see the
VMware support article:

http://www.vmware.com/support/reference/common/disk_sharing.html

</tip>