[thelist] Do we still need to say Download Acrobat Reader?

Graham Bird gbird at cambridge.org
Wed Jul 17 10:27:01 CDT 2002

Hi all,

How do people feel about the "Download Acrobat Reader from the Adobe
website for free" convention?

I still tend to accompany PDF download links with their filetype and a link
to the Adobe website, but I don't think I've ever seen a link to the
Microsoft website saying "You'll need to buy Word to view this". Is that
because Word costs money, or is it because we assume that everyone knows
how to open a DOC?

What's the consensus? Is PDF now prevalent enough to abandon the hat-tip to
Adobe? Should we keep doing it simply because it's helpful to those who
still don't have a version of Acrobat Reader? Are there any estimations on
how many people have it these days?

So what I'm wondering is: when do these things become a given? Are we at a
point where the filetype is enough?

Thanks in advance,

Graham