[thelist] Do we still need to say Download Acrobat Reader?

Saila, Craig Craig.Saila at bgminteractive.com
Wed Jul 17 10:48:00 CDT 2002

> So what I'm wondering is: when do these things become a
> given? Are we at a point where the filetype is enough?

Depends on your audience... I would suggest for general audiences, a
message or some icon is needed still (the filetype may be too obscure).

What I'm tending to do, though, is to just link to the file and include
the "Acrobat Reader needed" message in a title attribute on the link.
For example,
document">document</a>

The only stats I could find after a quick search had the Acrobat
Reader's install base at about 62%, but that was based on a December
2000 survey
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2001/02/02/epstein.html>

--
Cheers,